Thursday, April 9, 2015

My latest news update

Greetings to all! 

And here goes my next update for those who might be interested. My last message was done, it appears, on Saturday, March 21, after I had received 17 of the blasts to my brain cells (going all the way around my head).  Recently I learned that my total number would be 33, ending on Tuesday the 14th.

Today I was hit with the second of the last five. These five are narrowed down and aimed at smaller central part of my left side & brain. While the others, for the past couple weeks, started showing up with some flashes on one side when I closed my eyes, this one was pretty spectacular -- as it rounded my head I saw the flashes with eyes open or closed.  No extra danger, I have been assured!  (I have really enjoyed getting to know the three folks who've been doing the radiation, and learned a whole lot of things from them -- and about them!)

OK, three more to go. Then, after a rough five days or so after, things will start turning around and moving up again.  Right now I'm at the point of thinking and communicating with difficulties that were building up as the day went along.  Now they hit a lot sooner and harder.  As I starting writing this, I had to look up almost every specific word or name, as I have real difficulties remembering any.

However, good things expected are:  a) I'll be back seeing Anne for Speech-Language Pathology; she's helping me remember & connect words, etc. when possible, or lead them in other brain parts and such.  Then, b) I expect, over the course of weeks to get more sleep as I take less medications, and c) twice a week go for physical exercise to Oncology Rehab.  Did three so far, so 17 left, and feeling that I will be in better physical feeling and basic abilities when this is done.  Then more exercise on my own.  Oh, and a fourth good thing: I have been assured of more than a year or two of continued health and living and serving, perhaps many more years.  Colleen and I will need to plan for our retirement together for some time.  Praise God!

The folks here at Faith have, of course, been wonderful.  Several wanted to drive me to the zap each morning and that was so nice. I could just ride, and we'd talk about all kinds of things. Too bad just a few days are left to take me (not really!).

As far as church goes, frankly, I am done for professional service as a pastor, preacher and teacher, etc.  I won't be "retired" for a while, since I hoped to serve for a few more years.  But I won't be able to actively serve as a pastor any more...will be Social Security Disability instead.

Since I'm not able to do much of what is required, Pastor Ewings will be taking over the English as well as his Spanish work. He is very capable & willing, but will also expect many folks from both groups to step forward, as many are able to do so already. Lord willing, I'll be able to do behind the scenes things for individuals as an unpaid helper, teacher, server or just friend.

Support will come to me, but not from the church. I see this as so helpful for Faith as we look at the future. We have thanks to many folks who have helped fill all this paperwork out with Colleen. Sheila came and offered a lot of help, with her knowledge right at center of all that.

Short term, I hope to be resting more, recovering more and to start moving up again.  I look forward to some wonderful days spent with Joanna's family this summer, for sure. Our whole family might in fact be able to gather in Oregon City for the 4th!

I am so thankful to all who have prayed, helped, cared and more, both near and far.  As I said about two weeks ago to a couple of guys here at church -- and this is hard for some to understand though some do, in fact.  And it is hard for me to explain why -- I pray that glioblastoma never hit anyone I know.  That's easy to understand.  At the same time, I am thankful that it has hit me, for a whole bunch of reasons that are difficult to explain.

In reality, I find each day to be filled with joy and happiness, and can't wait till tomorrow to see what our Lord is doing. Of course, there is, now, the hope of having years to come and, I think, many ways Colleen and I can help people and serve the Lord wherever we are.

In the meantime, each day is a gift from our God!

Love and blessings to all,                    
Jim            

* If you'd like to know more of what hit me, see a fairly short explanation of glioblastoma:  http://www.abta.org/brain-tumor-information/types-of-tumors/glioblastoma.html

** If you'd like to know a bit more about how it affects people, see this one.  It's on site brainline.org and is points from a book.  One writer summarizes parts of it for us:  http://www.brainline.org/content/2011/07/lost-found-what-brain-injury-survivors-want-you-to-know.html

No comments:

Post a Comment